From our Midwinter zine.
The Holly and Oak Kings are brothers, lovers, or mortal enemies locked in battle over the ruling halves of the year. At Midsummer, the Oak King is at the height of his power; at Midwinter, the Holly King rules. As such, the solstices are opportunities for us to look at the waxing and waning powers of the year, to honor what energies are currently holding court, but also to look ahead at what will be swiftly gaining power in the turn of the seasons. It is in understanding the ebb and flow of these powers that we understand the magic of the season and use it to best prepare ourselves for the remaining winter months.
- Center: You; Now
- This card represents yourself, your current challenge, or the role you play, particularly as it hangs in balance at the moment of the solstice.
- Right: Waxing Energy (the Oak King)
- This is the energy that is steadily gaining steam in your life. This is what will guide your decisions over the next six months, culminating in the Summer Solstice.
- Left: Waning Energy (the Holly King)
- This is the energy that is most influencing your life at the moment, but also starting to ebb away. This is what you must prepare to give up as the light returns to the world.
- Below: Longest Night
- What can the darkness of the solstice teach you? What hidden parts of yourself are germinating in the cold and the dark?
- Above: Dawning Light
- What lessons can be learned from the return of the sun? What is starting to thaw in your heart? What can you embrace in the coming year?