For those that follow the four Celtic Fire Festivals, Samhain (lit: “Summer’s end”) marks the end of the light half of the year and the beginning of the dark half. Samhain also marked the beginning of winter to the pre-Christian Celts; while not all of us live in similar climes as these cultures and none of us live in their age, Samhain is still a good opportunity to assess where we are as we head into darker and colder days.
This spread is arranged in a spiral of eight cards forming four pairs. Each pair asks opposing questions regarding the flow of energies unique to this sabbat. Spirals represent an inner knowing and experience that defies the logic and order of our waking minds. Traveling a spiral, or its more complex sister the labyrinth, takes time and energy to emerge only a short distance from our starting point. It is walking a spiral, taking its twists and turns, allowing ourselves to become dizzy with questions, that we arrive at meaning. And no matter how long or short our journey was, we are always different for having made it.
Blessed Samhain to you and yours.
- What ends in your life? — What energies are leaving you at this moment? Which roles have you transitioned out of? What do you miss?
- What is being reborn? — What energies manifest in your life right now? Which roles are you stepping into? What do you look forward to?
- What do you fear? — What is your greatest fear at this moment? Do you know it or is it a surprise? How does it shape you?
- How can you be still? — In the face of fear, how can you calm your fight or flight response? Where can you breathe deep and lean into being afraid?
- Where do you cling? — What attachments keep you from moving forward? What things, attitudes, people, and perceptions of yourself no longer serve you?
- Where can you release? — Where are you ready to let go and make room for new growth? What needs to be allowed to pass?
- Who do you grieve? — Samhain especially is marked by the absence of those who are no longer with us. Whose presence lingers around you?
- How can you remember them? — How can you honor those whom you grieve? What can you do that would have made them proud?
Sage and I are HUGE fans of The Adventure Zone by the McElroy brothers and their dad (no spoilers, Sage isn’t done with the Balance Arc). For those of you who don’t know, TAZ is an actual play D&D podcast. The Balance Arc is the first story full of goofs and shockingly poignant moments.
The other day I said to Sage, “hey, let’s do a TAZ spread based around Magnus rushes in, Taako’s good out here, and Merle casts zone of truth!” And within an hour I have an image in my inbox of the spread, I love our relationship.
Even if you aren’t a fan of TAZ or know a single thing about the show, this is a great spread to assess a situation, we hope you enjoy using it!
- Magnus rushes in
You need to act and you need to act now. Now. Right now. Why are you still waiting?? Thinking is for other times and other people, but there’s an opportunity that needs your direct action and it cannot wait. Where do you need to surge ahead?
- Taako’s good out here
You need to consider the safety and comfort of yourself and your own interests. If you were a tank you’d get in harms way and hit a lot of things but you’re smart so you’re going to hang back and think this through. What needs protection and analysis?
- Merle casts Zone of Truth
Pandammit, you are so sick of everyone’s BS. You cast a spell for clear sight and deep truth, but remember that everyone is affected – even you. This card is an honest assessment of where you stand. Where can you cut the bullshit?
- Fantasy Costco
GOT A DEAL FOR YOU! What resources are at your disposal? What do you need to trade in that looked really flashy two arcs ago but has been sitting in your inventory gathering dust?
- Your Dungeon Master and your best friend
This guy. This fucking guy. The narrator of your story, the thing that keeps you on track, the overall shape of the plot, and all the funky characters in your life. What drives your story?
What abundance manifests for you this Harvest Moon?
The autumn equinox isn’t the only astronomical event that heralds the arrival of fall. The full moon rising closest to this equinox is known as the Harvest Moon; according to the Farmer’s Almanac this date falls on October 5, 2017 in the Northern Hemisphere.
The Harvest Moon is a good time to take stock of our, well, stocks! Practicing gratitude is not only a feel-good habit, but it also lets us become aware of all different kinds of wealth at our disposal that we might otherwise overlook. The Harvest Moon is also a time for planning how best to direct the abundance in our lives, or even how to attract more abundance through careful decisions and the smart use of resources.
- What has come to fruition?
- What energies do I have stored?
- How can I best use this abundance?
- How do I manage my stores?
- What should I be aware of when using my stored energies?
Harvest Moon Spread Layout
Book this reading with Etienne and Sage for $15.00 by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org!
This is my favorite time of year, when summer in all her glory gives way to the harvest maiden tending over fall’s crops. There’s a beautiful still moment between seasons during the equinox when we can feel two energies meet, meld, and separate again. It’s an especially auspicious time to break out the cards and take stock of what summer has given us and what autumn will require in return. This spread is specifically made for a general autumn equinox reading that assesses the fruits of your labors and where your energies will take you over the next several weeks.
- goodbye summer – what is leaving your life (energies, people, places, things), or what maybe needs a gentle push out the door.
- hello fall – what is entering your life, or what needs to be welcomed in with the rest of autumn.
- equinox – the blurred boundary between summer and fall encompassing you, right now, as you are; also the focal point unique to you this sabbat.
- bumper crops – unexpected gifts and opportunities to be had with summer’s lingering energy; you want to jump on these right away!
- autumn stores – the resources now at your disposal over the coming season such as living allies and the beloved dead, gods and spirits, and your own talents and strengths.
- harvest bounty – how the fruits of your past labors have paid off; what exactly you are harvesting at this moment in time.
- community table – how you can best spread your abundance around, especially when giving back to the communities that support you most.
- see you at samhain – a final word of advice for how to proceed and what to look out for until the next sabbat.
Book this reading with Etienne and Sage for $30.00 by emailing email@example.com!