Etienne and Sage got hitched last year, but our wedding bells are ringing for a Samhain wedding. We’re off to Michigan for the ceremony and some well deserved rest in a lakeside cozy cottage. While we’re gone, check out our Samhain Zine! We’ve included the Samhain Spiral Spread, a Trick or Treat! spread, and three unpublished spreads.
- Message from Beyond:
- Crone at the Crossroads:
- Pumpkin Patch:
Purchase the zine on Gumroad for $2!
For those that follow the four Celtic Fire Festivals, Samhain (lit: “Summer’s end”) marks the end of the light half of the year and the beginning of the dark half. Samhain also marked the beginning of winter to the pre-Christian Celts; while not all of us live in similar climes as these cultures and none of us live in their age, Samhain is still a good opportunity to assess where we are as we head into darker and colder days.
This spread is arranged in a spiral of eight cards forming four pairs. Each pair asks opposing questions regarding the flow of energies unique to this sabbat. Spirals represent an inner knowing and experience that defies the logic and order of our waking minds. Traveling a spiral, or its more complex sister the labyrinth, takes time and energy to emerge only a short distance from our starting point. It is walking a spiral, taking its twists and turns, allowing ourselves to become dizzy with questions, that we arrive at meaning. And no matter how long or short our journey was, we are always different for having made it.
Blessed Samhain to you and yours.
- What ends in your life? — What energies are leaving you at this moment? Which roles have you transitioned out of? What do you miss?
- What is being reborn? — What energies manifest in your life right now? Which roles are you stepping into? What do you look forward to?
- What do you fear? — What is your greatest fear at this moment? Do you know it or is it a surprise? How does it shape you?
- How can you be still? — In the face of fear, how can you calm your fight or flight response? Where can you breathe deep and lean into being afraid?
- Where do you cling? — What attachments keep you from moving forward? What things, attitudes, people, and perceptions of yourself no longer serve you?
- Where can you release? — Where are you ready to let go and make room for new growth? What needs to be allowed to pass?
- Who do you grieve? — Samhain especially is marked by the absence of those who are no longer with us. Whose presence lingers around you?
- How can you remember them? — How can you honor those whom you grieve? What can you do that would have made them proud?
It’s easy to get bogged down in complex spreads or drawing dozens of clarifying cards. Sometimes you just want a reading that’s short and sweet. Look no further than our Trick or Treat Spread – perfect for Halloween or any time of the year when you need a general overview of what’s headed your way.
- Trick – Watch out for this!
- Treat – Look forward to this!